Customer Service Agent (CD)
General Description: This is a clerical position. The incumbent will handle citizen inquiries over the phone and in person, process customer payments, while maintaining and balancing a cash drawer. Tasks performed by the incumbent range from routine to moderately complex.
Organization: The Customer Service Agent position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Customer Service Ladder has three (3) levels ranging from Customer Service Agent I to Senior Customer Service Agent. Incumbents report to a Customer Service Supervisor/Manager or an Office Supervisor. Senior Customer Service Agents may serve as workflow leaders to lower level Agents and/or clerical staff.
• Processes payments from the public in an automated system. Payment types include personal property, real estate and state estimated taxes, utilities, building inspection fees and various others.
• Answer, research and resolve taxpayer questions/problems in person and over the telephone.
• Complete reconciliation of payments to daily edits to ensure settlement of cash drawer.
• Assist taxpayers with Treasurer's website for researching and making payments.
• Ability to demonstrate considerable tact and patience when dealing with the public.
• Department of Taxation, wage liens, court warrants and other litigation payments. Provide support, as needed, for research and valuation of collections files.
• Ability to research and correct rejected bank payments.
• Explains billing process to new citizens/customers.
• Performs related work as assigned.
A. Hazards - none known
B. Environment - office
C. Physical Effort - minimal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The ability to interact positively with the public is required. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Computer literacy or skills are required in Microsoft Office products and are preferable in Avenity Software. Multitasking ability is desired. Handle telephone calls and balance a cash drawer. Ability to research pertinent information, to analyze the information obtained and arrive independently at a logical conclusion.
Education, Experience and Training: High School diploma or equivalent is required with at least one (1) year customer service experience preferred - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Serves at the will of the Treasurer.
• Criminal records check, including fingerprinting.
• One year probationary period.
• Business casual dress required.
Revision Date: August 2009
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a full-time benefited position that serves at the will of the Treasurer.
The typical work week is five days a week, Monday through Friday. The Treasurer's Office is open to the public from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of any diploma/degree(s) and/or certification(s).
Preferred applicants will have:
• Minimum two years' of customer service experience
• Government experience (local, state or federal)
• Banking and/or Cashier experience
• Bilingual (English and Spanish)
• Functional knowledge of Microsoft's Word and Excel software
• Experience with Avenity Software
• Experience with electronic content management systems
• Excellent writing and telephone skills
• Bachelor's degree, preferably business related degree
Closing Date/Time: Continuous