Director, Fundraising Systems & Projects
Since 1941, the USO has been the nation's leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today's USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Director, Fundraising Systems & Projects will lead the vision, strategy, operations, and implementation for fundraising systems including but not limited to data flow, data hygiene, and business intelligence. In addition, this role will ensure systems and workflows are optimized to meet current and future needs with an emphasis on efficiency, scalability, and data quality.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
Fundraising Systems Management
- Oversee fundraising systems management across the USO. Partner with HQ and Regional VP(s) of Development to implement, refine, and ensure adherence to HQ approved donation platforms, policies, and procedures.
- Partner with Development, Marketing, and Information Technology to define the vision and strategy for future technology investments related to fundraising databases, donation and payment platforms in alignment with the overall fundraising strategy.
- Provide leadership on the definition and implementation of system maintenance and continuity plans in partnership with IT and vendors to minimize fundraising disruptions resulting from system down time.
- Stay abreast of fundraising technology trends and propose donor-centric improvements to fundraising systems and workflows that reduce donor friction and enhance donor loyalty.
- Manage contractual relationships with technology/consulting vendors to include scope of work definition as well as budget and invoice oversight.
- Oversee development and maintenance of a SOP library for business-critical development operations and reporting processes related to fundraising systems.
- Ensure creation and monitoring of performance metrics and oversee development and implementation of remediation plans as needed.
- Enhance and maintain the Development Operations and Planning SharePoint site as needed to support communication and business needs.
- Steward and continually improve data, data flows, and related processes in collaboration with IT to maintain accuracy, relevancy, privacy, and overall data integrity.
Project Management Office
- Establish and develop a Project Management Office, best practices, policies and procedures, and standard templates within the Development Operations and Planning department.
- Drive fundraising system technology project selection, prioritization, and implementation with project managers in support of business initiatives including fundraising database migrations for onboarding Chartered Centers as part of the OneUSO initiative.
- Own project delivery from initiation and planning through production deployment and project close.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders at every level for project resourcing, task completion, and issue escalation.
- Hire, lead, and mentor project management team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Marketing or related field. Master's Degree in Project Management preferred.
- 10+ years progressively responsible work experience in information systems management and implementation, including 5+ years in a supervisory capacity.
- Relevant experience in a non-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-performing teams. Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Working knowledge of basic business and accounting functions including project management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Working knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Raiser's Edge, Salesforce and digital platforms such as OneCause.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver's license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO's mission.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location. Relocation assistance or remote working arrangements may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.