General Description: This is a technical position that performs routine tasks to maintain and care for county grounds.
Organization: The Groundskeeper position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Groundskeeper Ladder has four (4) levels ranging from Groundskeeper I to Senior Groundskeeper. Incumbents report to the Groundskeeper Supervisor and Groundskeeper I, II and III supervise no staff. Senior level Groundskeepers may provide workflow guidance to other staff.
Essential Functions (all employees):
- Performs safety checks of County grounds and recreation facilities.
- Provides grounds maintenance, such as cutting grass, litter control, weed eating, seeding, and edging.
- Prepares facilities, grounds and equipment for recreational use, such as dragging, marking and lining athletic fields.
- Sets up, takes down and cleans up for special events and other activities. Performs preventive maintenance of equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned
Additional Functions (18 years of age or older):
- Makes repairs as needed.
- Performs ground maintenance including tree removal and fertilizing
- Conditions - Must operate equipment safely to avoid injury
- Field - Tasks are performed normally outside, sometimes in adverse weather
C. Physical Effort
- Operation of commercial mowing and landscaping equipment, gas powered hand tools and heavy duty equipment as qualified
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of general landscaping, standard safety practices and small engine repair, preferred.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required with experience working with small tools and proficiency on at least one piece of related equipment preferred - OR - minimum of 17 years of age with studies in landscaping or horticulture-related education program - OR- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
- Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
- Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
- Twelve-month probationary period
- Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test /Alcohol Testing and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Pre-employment audiometric testing and hearing conservation and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Work beyond normal work schedule, including weekends, holidays, and nights
- Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
Revision Date: February 2019
Closing Date/Time: Continuous