General Description: This is a paraprofessional position. The incumbent performs routine tasks to conduct interviews, assess behavior, provide guidance and supervise offenders in the community who have been sentenced by the court system.
Organization: The Probation Officer reports to the Director of Community Corrections and supervises no staff.
- Conducts interviews and investigations of offenders to obtain background information.
- Assesses offenders and refers to appropriate treatment programs.
- Develops goals and standards for offenders and verifies compliance with requirements by offenders.
- Makes offender referrals to community service work and monitors offender's participation.
- Supervises offenders sentenced to probation programs to ensure they adhere to the conditions and treatments ordered by court.
- Facilitates and monitors substance abuse screening and drug testing.
- Establishes and maintains records on all offenders.
- Serves as liaison between offender, local judiciary and other involved public or private agencies.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations as needed.
- Exposure to bodily fluids
- Unsecured criminal customer service
C. Physical Effort
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have basic knowledge of the criminal justice system, community corrections, local systems and judicial procedures. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and maintain confidentiality, required. Must be computer literate.
Education, Experience and Training: Bachelors degree (preferably in social science field) with the successful completion of Department of Criminal Justice Services basic skills required and a minimum of two (2) years' related experience - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
Special Conditions: Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License Twelve-month probationary period Work beyond normal work schedule Pre-employment Drug Test
Revision Date: May 2010
Closing Date/Time: Continuous