Public Safety Emergency Communications Officer
General Description: This is a technical position. The incumbent performs complex tasks in the operation of the County 911 system.
Organization: The Emergency Communications Officer position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Emergency Communications Officer Ladder has four levels ranging from Emergency Communications Officer First Class to Emergency Communications Officer - Career. Incumbents report to a Emergency Communications Supervisor and supervise no staff. However, Senior Emergency Communications Officers - Master and Career may serve as workflow leaders to lower level Officers.
• Answers emergency and service-related calls.
• Monitors alarms, security systems and radio traffic, responding as needed.
• Operates radio consoles, prioritizing and dispatching calls for service.
• Enters emergency and service-related data into the Computer Aided
Dispatch (CAD) System.
• Tracks unit activity in the CAD System.
• Operates VCIN/NCIC terminals.
• Researches computerized data and information.
• Plays back digital recordings.
• Completes logs and other documentation related to 911 activities.
• Perform related work as assigned
• Customers - Contact with customers in difficult situations
• Conditions - Noisy and stressful work environment
C. Physical Effort
• Boxes of Paper - May be able to lift up to twenty (20) pounds
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to read, hear and speak the English language. Must be able to perform multiple tasks concurrently. Ability to communicate with callers using a TDD, desired. Ability to monitor traffic and handle messages over the North Anna Insta-phone Network, desired. Knowledge of the geographical layout of Hanover County and the ability to read maps and to provide directions, preferred. Ability to analyze situations and react swiftly and rationally in high stress situations.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent, required. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require experience and additional training. Related experience desired as follows: 1 year @ First Class level, 2-3 years @ Senior level , and 3-5 years Master level. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Must be at least eighteen (18) years old
• U. S. Citizen
• Complete Criminal Background Investigation
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Work beyond normal work schedule
• Shift Work, including weekends, holidays and nights
• Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Audiometric and
repeated regularly thereafter
• Pre-employment CRITICALL Test
• Essential staff designation
• Must wear uniform
Revision Date: June 2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
All screened applicants will be contacted by email regarding testing and interviews. Included in the email will be a pre-screen worksheet that must be completed in your own handwriting and be notarized prior to testing and submitted by PDF through email for review. Applicants selected for testing will be sent information on testing in-person or will be provided a link for on-line testing of the CRITICALL test - an automated computerized test. Those passing will be contacted regarding taking an on-line values/skills assessment - after the assessment review applicants will be contacted regarding a panel interview either in-person or scheduled through ZOOM. After the interview those applicants selected will be contacted for a Background Investigation to be administered by the Hanover County Sheriff's Office.
If selected for this position, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A COPY OF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - COLLEGE DEGREE AND CERTIFICATIONS.
HS GRAD or EQUIVALENT
PASS CRITICALL TESTING AND VALUES/SKILLS ASSESSMENT
ORAL INTERVIEW PANEL RECOMMENDATION
SUCCESSFUL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION RECOMMENDATION - TO INCLUDE:
NO HISTORY OF DRUG OR ALCOHOL ABUSE
NO FELONY CONVICTIONS OR HABITUAL MISDEAMNOR CONVICTIONS
GOOD CHARACTER AND REPUTATION
PASS PHYSICAL/DRUG TEST
Closing Date/Time: 4/23/2021 11:59 PM Eastern