Utility Technician (CD) – Construction
General Description: The incumbent performs utility construction work and other related work. Construction experience desired but entry level applicants will be considered.
Organization: The Utility Technician is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Utility Technician Ladder has three levels ranging from Utility Technician I to Utility Technician III. Incumbents report to a Utility Supervisor and supervise no staff; however, Utility Technicians III may serve as workflow leaders to lower level Utility Technicians.
• Repairs and installs water and sewer lines and appurtenances, including fire hydrants.
• Operates construction equipment, including towing equipment and trailers.
• Completes other miscellaneousness construction projects including sidewalk and other concrete repairs, asphalt repairs, and small grading and lawn restoration projects.
• Operates and organizes the use of utility tools, equipment, and vehicles.
• Assures all safety regulations are met (e.g. VDOT standards for traffic control and flags traffic during VDOT right of way repairs).
• Troubleshoots and helps manage emergency situations.
• Maintains maintenance records and efficiently completes work orders.
• May be exposed to chemicals, dust, fumes, noise, vibrations and repetitiveness
• Field - May be exposed to adverse weather
C. Physical Effort
• Heavy manual work
• Intermittent lifting of objects weighing at least 50 lbs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to understand and to follow oral and written instructions. Familiarity with the equipment and techniques necessary to perform assigned work tasks, preferred.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional experience and training.
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License at hire
• A Class "A" Commercial Driver's License is required within 6 (six) months of employment. Hanover County will provide on the job training to aid in obtaining a Commercial Driver's License.
• Pre-employment Physical Examination and repeated regularly thereafter
• Pre-employment Drug Test /Breath Alcohol Testing and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
• Audiometric Testing
• Twelve-month probationary period
• May work beyond normal schedule including weekends, holidays and nights
• Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
• This position is subject to being on routine on-call.
Special Instructions to Applicants
If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide a copy of your diploma/degree and certifications.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous